[MPlayer-users] My cropping question revisited.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Sep 26 22:46:42 CEST 2013

On 26.09.2013, at 22:37, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 25.09.2013, at 23:52, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>> I did some fiddling 2 days back, before I tore up a knee and am reduced to
>> using crutches to get around.
>
> Hope you'll manage to get rid of those crutches soon!
>
>> 1, mplayer idents the camera ok, but cannot connect.
>>
>> Its identified in the log as input: HD Pro Webcam C920 as
>> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-6/1-6:1.0/input/input10
>> And seems to claim its a 2304 by 2xxx pixel device.
>
> Unless someone managed to get MPlayer to work with exactly that card,
> I think you'd need to give us the exact and complete MPlayer output to start. (and yes, updating to latest SVN does not hurt either).
>
>> 2, it would appear that libv4lconvert.so may be one of the stumbling
>> blocks.
>
> For many webcams MPlayer should not need it, since it can do the necessary conversion,
> at most it needs to be told how to figure out which to use.
> Though if you are unlucky it might indeed be one of the cams that simply don't work with MPlayer.

This: http://www.oz9aec.net/index.php/gstreamer/473-using-the-logitech-c920-webcam-with-gstreamer

Tells me the camera can do yuv, h.264 and mjpeg.
MPlayer can do all of them without libv4lconvert.
Which one is best depends on the ratio USB bandwidth/cpu power available.
I also have to admit I don't know how to tell MPlayer which one to select.