[MPlayer-users] How do I debug this one? mplayer ftp problem

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Sep 30 20:09:42 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 06:23:07PM +0100, Dave Saville wrote:
> Recompiling mplayer on the Pi is going to be a non starter

Cross-compile? Install a newer version from deb-multimedia.org?
Also try ffmpeg://ftp:// instead of ftp:// (will need a newer
version than what you have I think).
Though in general, since I don't have a Pi: why not recompiling
on the Pi? It "only" requires disk space and a lot of patience I'd
think.

> and my
> Ubuntu system is a T42 Thinkpad that Mplayer will not play video on
> - driver problem.

What kind of driver? I can't see how a driver issue should stop
you from playing with -nosound -vo md5sum or such, unless the
Ethernet driver is the issue?

> The system where mplayer *does* work in ftp mode is ECS aka IBM's
> OS/2 :-) That has MPlayer 1.1.1-4.4.6 (C) 2000-2013 MPlayer Team

I kind of think it's likely that means it was a bug that was
fixed somewhere in-between those two versions.