[MPlayer-users] Can mplayer bitstream HD audio (DTS DH MA/Dolby TrueHD) over HDMI?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Apr 6 21:36:17 CEST 2014

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 08:10:46PM +0200, Julian Sikorski wrote:
> W dniu 06.04.2014 17:59, Reimar Döffinger pisze:
> > This looks like you should probably try with -channels 6
> > It seems like MPlayer ends up trying to downsample the compressed
> > audio to 2 channels.
> > However it seems obvious nobody tested it, so it's not too likely to
> > work I'm afraid.
> >

> You were right. Using -channels 8 allows the clip to play and sends data
> over to AVR which is recognised as DTS-HD MA. I had to use the .asoundrc
> file from
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157347
> Unfortunately, the playback is very choppy: sound plays for a moment,
> then it does not, and so on:

I seriously doubt I'll be able to help much beyond this point since
I can't test any of this myself.
Though I might get some ideas if you can give some additional
information.
E.g. does it play all audio, just with pauses, or does it actually
drop parts of the audio?
Does the receiver indicate in any way it has issues synchronizing or
such?
Does the status-line "A:" counter increase smoothly or does it reflect
the pauses?
Or are the pauses too short to be noticeable there? Have a course
estimate?
Probably a bit overkill, but possible a recording of the output
might give some insights?

> ======= WAVE Format =======
> Format Tag: 8193 (0x2001)
> Channels: 6
> Samplerate: 48000

> AUDIO: 192000 Hz, 8 ch, iec61937le, 768.0 kbit/3.12% (ratio: 96000->3072000)

Hm, these sample rates/channels do not fit together.
I don't know if ALSA even cares about that information though...