[MPlayer-users] Audio/?video out of sync when using -voc copy ?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Dec 8 21:22:09 CET 2014

On Sun, Dec 07, 2014 at 10:09:53PM -0800, Yang wrote:
> I bought some DVDs, and feared that they might be scratched, so I wanted to
> store the content on hard drive. I did
>
> mencoder  -voc copy -aoc copy dvd:// -o output.avi

I don't think this command is quite right.

> then I found that the audio and video are out of sync, the video is too
> fast,  by about 10%.
>
> then I did some google search, and this seems to be a common problem, and
> many posts point to using some combination of the 3 params:
>
> " -mc 0 -noskip -vf harddup "
>
> I tried all 8 combinations of them, but the results are still the same.
> interestingly, if i swap the position of -noskip and -mc 0, the results are
> even different!

Huh? The parser makes no difference for the order...
Either way, while you need -mc 0 -noskip when you copy video, you
usually still end up with sync issues if you don't re-encode the audio,
as mencoder is really bad at estimating how much data encoded audio
contains.
For your case I think you want "mplayer -dumpstream" anyway though.