[MPlayer-users] Is -wid option supported on Mac OS X for any video output?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Dec 8 21:37:52 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 07:20:53PM +0400, Anton Sviridenko wrote:

> > Hello Anton,
> >
> > mplayer doesn't support embedding NSView's with slave mode simply
> > because OS X doesn't allow to share a view with another process.
> > mplayer embedding on OS X generally uses --vo=corevideo and the
> > shared_buffer sub option, this will copy image data to some mmapped
> > memory that you can read from your GUI. You are then completely
> > responsible to present this data on screen (both MPlayer OSX Extended
> > and MPlayerX use corevideo for presenting the final image to screen).
> > It's a bit of a makeshift solution but software that's very popular
> > uses it and works well enough.
>
> Stefano, thanks for useful hints. Is there some more detailed
> documentation (than man 1 mplayer) about shared memory interface with
> corevideo? How should I get frame size, pixel format, etc? From
> mplayer stdout?
> Or some code that can be looked at? Does MPlayer OSX Extended or
> MPlayerX use this way of presenting video?

Note that, assuming requiring 10.6 is acceptable, there are much
better APIs nowadays.
The IOSurfaceAPI.h header reference has some good information,
and it should be able to plug in on top of -vo gl.
However the combination if it still being quite a pain to use
and me not having any OSX version new enough means I at least
won't be working on it.
And it seems there generally are rather few people interesting
on improving MPlayer on OSX.