[MPlayer-users] mencoder -ovc copy produces a "null codec" footprint?

Yang teddyyyy123 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 21:17:44 CET 2014

I copied my DVDs to my DLNA server, so I could stream them on my home
network.

but the client VLC (as well as xbox ) fails to recognize the codec used by
the file, saying "can't find codec for format '  ' ".

while if I use some compression codec in mencoder, such as mpeg4, it seems
that the code footprint is written in the file, so vlc is able to see it.

how could I fix this, some way to manually "decorate" the existing file
with a codec signature?

thanks
Yang