[MPlayer-users] Slave mode does not expand properties

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Dec 27 16:32:52 CET 2014

On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 01:59:44AM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
> Trying to get mplayer to print out the currently playing file but the
> property is always empty.
>
> Following instruction at http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/slave.txt,
> created the fifo and sending command to fifo.
>
> This is how the command is sent to mplayer (while a video is playing):
>
> echo 'run "echo filename ${filename} stream_pos ${stream_pos}" >>
> /tmp/mplayer.output.txt' > /tmp/mplayer.slave.fifo

Your quoting is off. Like this the >> and following part will be the
second and third arguments to the "run" command.
I suspect they are silently ignored.
> echo 'run "echo filename ${filename} stream_pos ${stream_pos} >> /tmp/mplayer.output.txt"' > /tmp/mplayer.slave.fifo
Works for me

>    - none of the properties are expanded to actual values, i.e. both
> ${filename} and ${stream_pos} are replaced by empty string in the output

Works for me, try with latest SVN.

> Ubuntu 14.10
> mplayer2 2.0-728-g2c378c7-2ubuntu

MPlayer2 is a fork of MPlayer (currently unmaintained to my knowledge, though possibly superseded
by mpv with larger differences in usage etc. though) and this list can't help you much
with that.