[MPlayer-users] Desaturate video output

Tue Dec 30 23:18:06 CET 2014

Hi Paolo Bolzoni!

 On 2014.12.30 at 21:45:04 +0100, Paolo Bolzoni wrote next:

> Sorry, I had a blindness attack until now. The option -saturation is
> what I was looking for.
>
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 9:41 PM, Paolo Bolzoni
> <paolo.bolzoni.brown at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > Is there any filter that can change the colors on the fly? For some
> > reason when I use my hdmi cable to see a movie on the TV the colors
> > are too saturated.
> >
> > I would like to undo the effect a bit.

Actually, in your case I'd suggest checking levelconv= option of gl
driver. You can google about PC vs TV levels problem (e.g.
http://madshi.net/htpc/page3.html is a good article).

Though, the best way to display video is to set TV HDMI input to "PC
mode" and video card HDMI output to RGB with PC (full range) levels.
It's easy to do with ATI catalyst (closed source) driver, I'm not 100%
sure about other configurations. For all other configurations, you are
going to get either incorrect colors or degraded quality of output
(crushed black/whites or banding or some other effects).

If you need to change saturation in mplayer, it definitely means that
something is set up incorrectly and you are sacrificing picture quality.
You shouldn't need to change any settings like that if there are no
extra color conversions taking place (except for single YUV->full range RGB
conversion by mplayer in software, OpenGL shaders or hardware
accelerated decoder).

--

Vladimir