[MPlayer-users] jerky/jumpy playback of a DVD due to ac3 codec failure

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Dec 30 23:20:57 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 10:55:30PM -0800, Yang wrote:
> I play a DVD with ac3 audio on 2 computers, both using mplayer, same
> version.

Also same version of libavformat, libavcodec etc.?

> on the laptop, it works fine. on both systems, totem/vlc/xine play fine too.
>
> on the desktop, it's very jerky/jumpy, and the video is terribly pixelated,
> mostly dark beyond recognition.

Didn't you say before this happens depending on which PC you ran
-dumpstream on?
In which case something might have gone wrong with the decryption.

> I closely compared the log from both sessions, and found that the desktop
> mplayer seems to have issues with audio decoder:
>
> Selected video codec: MPEG-2 video [libavcodec]
> [ac3 @ 0x7fb292a19a20]frame sync error
> [ac3 @ 0x7fb292a19a20]frame CRC mismatch
> [AVAudioResampleContext @ 0x7fb291ae0d60]Value 0.000000 for parameter
> 'in_sample_rate' out of range
> [AVAudioResampleContext @ 0x7fb291ae0d60]Value 0.000000 for parameter
> 'out_sample_rate' out of range
> Audio decoder did not specify audio format!
> Audio decoder init failed for codecs.conf entry "ffac3".
> Selected audio codec: AC3-liba52 [liba52]
> AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, floatle, 384.0 kbit/12.50% (ratio: 48000->384000)
> AO: [pulse] 48000Hz 2ch floatle (4 bytes per sample)
> Starting playback...
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7fb292a19a20]Warning MVs not available

Audio and video if anything. But rather it's simply that the data it
gets is broken/corrupted.

> I tried to force --ac=ffac3 or --ac=lavc, but it still fails to init the
> dictated codec

Those aren't options MPlayer would accept, the help we can offer when
you are using a fork is extremely limited.
If you upload a sample file we can test if it works for us with MPlayer
compiled from latest SVN, but that is about as much as I can help.