[MPlayer-users] -noconsolecontrols ignored in slave mode

luc.linux at mailoo.org luc.linux at mailoo.org
Wed Dec 31 11:00:40 CET 2014

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 10:45:22AM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> Well, of course the slave mode is trying to read from stdin: that is exactly
> what it is for:
>
> "Instead of intercepting keyboard events, MPlayer will read commands
> separated by a newline (\n) from stdin."
>
> If you do not want MPlayer to read from stdin, just do not add -slave. It
> does not make any sense otherwise.
>
> What is your final goal?
I am trying to get mplayer to read instruction from a fifo file (which
is why I have the `-input file=` argument) while receiving a stream to
play from stdin. I know I could just create another fifo file, make
mplayer read from it and send the stream to it, but it would make my
script much more complicated (because I would have to track every
process created to make sure they all finish when the script is
terminated).

At least I think there should be an hint in the documentation saying
that noconsolecontrols is ignored when mplayer is in slave mode, even
when there is another input stream to read from, because I am not the
first to be surprised by this behaviour [1][2].

[1] https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2012-March/084398.html
[2] http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/357782-avs2yuv-and-mplayer-in-slave-mode-dropping-content