[MPlayer-users] VDPAU on mk802 II

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Feb 2 17:38:29 CET 2014

On 02.02.2014, at 16:26, "Amir Hassan" <amir at viel-zu.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:13:41 +0100, Amir Hassan <amir at viel-zu.org> wrote:
>>> That said, please use self-compiled SVN for such special
>>> use-cases, ancient distro-versions are unlikely to work out.
>> svn works! thx
> well... it works mostly. i'm still having problems with av sync. it starts in sync but then is drifts. video playback looks good but it seems like it can't catch up with audio. i tried playing with autosync and mc but with no luck. i do understand that sometimes decoding the video is too slow, but most of the time performance is fine. why doesn't framedrop work? any ideas on how to track down the problem? how would go about profiling mplayer to find the bottleneck?

"perf" is the easiest tool to do profiling, but you must compile with debug.
But looking at the numbers I think you should possibly look at your CPU, memory and VE frequencies.
Also you should try to use threading.
Soft framedrop is useless with hardware decoding like here, the video frame is already in the display framebuffer, not showing it doesn't help anything.
Hard framedrop is extremely likely to cause serious issues with hardware decoders. Some will even interpret it as corruption and decode everything twice (!), once in hardware and once more with error resilience in software (!!!) (though luckily that's not the case here), so I'd very much not suggest using it.

> btw. i also tried mplayer2 but with no improvement.

That one's a separate project anyway, which in addition seems to have gone unmaintained.

More information about the MPlayer-users mailing list