[MPlayer-users] libmpg123 vs ffmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Feb 13 05:14:57 CET 2014

Kevin Mitchell <kevmitch <at> gmail.com> writes:

> What are the advantages if any to compiling with
> libmpg123 support instead of just letting ffmpeg
> handle mp3 decoding?

> I remember reading somewhere at some point that
> libmpg123 uses floats internally, while ffmpeg
> uses fixed point for mp3 decoding.

FFmpeg supports both fixed point and floating point
mp3 decoding.

I tested a long time ago and FFmpeg was not slower
on most hardware (but not always), libmpg123 has
seen speed improvements since.

If the performance is of any relevance for you,
please test yourself.
(I remember using a very long sample to get
useful results.)

Carl Eugen