[MPlayer-users] dshow cameras, etc.

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 20:39:21 CET 2014

On 1/13/14, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.  I was wondering if there is an mplayer equivalent to, say,
> ffmpeg's "-f dshow -video=XXX"
> I am familiar with mplayer ffmpeg://udp:// ...
>
> So maybe with using lavdopts and something like ffmpeg://dshow://
> would work?  Anybody tried this before?
> Thank you.  (My end goal here is to basically have mplayer screen
> capture in windows with very little latency...)

Ok, to answer my own question, I don't believe it's currently possible [1].
It apparently needs something like avformat_open_input [2] which only
appears possible as a demuxer today [not sure though]. Anyway it would
be nice to have this option available to replicate/have access to
ffmpeg capabilities.
Thanks so much!
-roger-
[1] $ mplayer -msglevel all=9   ffmpeg://dshow

[[[init getch2]]]

Playing ffmpeg://dshow.
get_path('sub/') -> 'C:\Users\packrd/mplayer/sub/'
WINSOCK2 init: 0
libavformat version 55.16.102 (internal)
Configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-postproc
[ffmpeg] Opening dshow
Failed to open ffmpeg://dshow.

[2] https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/DirectShow#UsingDirectShowwithlibav: