[MPlayer-users] Can I play audio from microphone input with mplayer?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Jan 19 19:10:55 CET 2014

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 07:46:19AM -0800, James Board wrote:
> Is it possible to use mplayer to play audio from the microphone input?
> If so, how (I'm on a Linux PC running CentOS)?
>
> Context: I connected the audio output of my DVR to the PC's microphone
> input jack and I'm trying to play that audio through the PC's speakers.  Does !
> make sense?  I don't need to record the audio, merely play it.

Well, together with a webcam tv:// with -tv immediatemode=0 etc. would
work.

> If this isn't possible with mplayer, what would be the correct tool to use to
> do this?  Seems like it should be a common thing.

Combining arecord with aplay might work.
However the best and lowest latency one is just to use your mixer
application to set the microphone input to be played back (assuming your
soundcard supports that of course, but at least in the past they used
to).