[MPlayer-users] Can I play audio from microphone input with mplayer?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Jan 19 19:46:23 CET 2014

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 10:37:18AM -0800, James Board wrote:
> > > Is it possible to use mplayer to play audio from the microphone input?
> > > If so, how (I'm on a Linux  PC running CentOS)?
> > >
> > > Context: I connected the audio output of  my DVR to the PC's microphone
> > > input  jack and I'm trying to play that audio through the PC's speakers.  Does !
> > > make  sense?  I don't need to record the audio, merely play  it.
> >
> > Well, together with a
> > webcam tv:// with -tv immediatemode=0 etc. would
> > work.
>
> ???? I don't have a webcam.  Is this something I can try with mplayer?

Yes,
mplayer tv:// -tv immediatemode=0
(and possibly extra options for ALSA etc.)
This does capture from ALSA, but I expect without a V4L input device
it probably will error out.
Both MPlayer and mencoder tend to have limitations for working with
audio-only, and this is probably one more such case where you have
to provide video or MPlayer will refuse to process audio,