[MPlayer-users] are threads working?

Tue Jan 21 17:35:42 CET 2014

Hi Grant!

 On 2014.01.21 at 06:08:10 -0800, Grant wrote next:

> I'm surprised more CPU isn't being used by each thread because
> playback is a little choppy.  Maybe that means decoding is not the
> problem?  I'm on a dual-core Pandaboard ES (ARM) device and I actually

Video output is likely a problem. I have doubts about -vo sdl but then
again, I don't know much about ARM, I believe video output can be pretty
tricky there. Maybe you should try to check how SDL works there (does it
use opengl for output, or just hardware YUV transform & scaling, and so
on) and check if you can use video output driver which works the same
way directly in mplayer.

> seem to get slightly better performance from threads=8 than threads=2.
>  I use -vo sdl because I get terrible performance otherwise.
>
> Could it help if I lock one core to mplayer?  If so, how can I do that?

Sorry, I sent original mail before I noticed this question. You surely
can try, with taskset. e.g. "taskset -p -c 0,1 <pid>" to lock on 0 and 1
cores.

--

Vladimir