[MPlayer-users] Bug: mp_image_allocate_planes does not allocate enough memory for YV12 images

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Fri Jul 25 15:39:00 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 10:00:06AM -0500, Jared Stafford wrote:
> I have recently updated to the newest SVN mplayer from a very old
> version (built in late 2011), and mplayer crashes on about half of the
> videos I tried it with. GDB showed most of the crashes happened during
> malloc, so suspecting heap corruption, I ran it in valgrind, and it
> detected an invalid write in copy_mpi (libmpcodecs/mp_image.c). I
> found that doubling the size of the allocation on line 41, the problem
> went away. Obviously, this is not a proper solution, but it does
> confirm that there is something wrong with either the buffer size or
> the calculations of where the plane pointers are in the image.

I tried to reproduce the issue, but failed to do so. Could you send the
complete console output of MPlayer when playing one of the problematic
videos to the list? Please add the '-v' flag to increase verbosity
of MPlayer.

It seems that mp_image_alloc_planes() is used with video filters only,
and copy_mpi() is used with video filters and dvdnav only. Are you
using any of those? Can you reproduce the issue without video filters
and without dvdnav?

Please see
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_playback
and
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash
on how to gather helpful information.

Thanks,
Erik
--
Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability.
                        -- Edsger W. Dijkstra