[MPlayer-users] Problems with h.264 and lavf demuxer (paff/mbaff?)

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Mar 6 13:19:28 CET 2014

Marco Munderloh <munderl <at> tnt.uni-hannover.de> writes:

> First one is that neither the demuxer nor the h264 decoder
> skip undecodeable frames until a valid SPS/PPS/IDR arrive
> but tries to conceal it. This might be a useful feature
> for some broken streams / incomplete streams and reduces
> latency in the case of seeking in unindexed files. But for
> the best user experience I think it should be default to
> skip frames until the next IDR.

As said, what you request is the default for FFmpeg,
and I believe I explained how you can get the same
behaviour from MPlayer.

> Second, and more serious problem is that the decoder gets
> so much confused from the first additional B slice that it
> does not decode the following PPS/SPS/IDR correctly but
> conceals all frames until the second IDR frame.
> This yields, in my case, to 16 broken frames instead of
> just one.

You are probably right, I did not open a ticket yet
because I consider this difficult to explain.

> You suggest to report this at the ffmpeg-devel mailing
> list?

You should if you just wanted to report "mixed field and
whatever" but for the problem that you analyzed, a ticket
would be appropriate, a report on ffmpeg-devel not.

Carl Eugen