[MPlayer-users] mplayer alsa behavior playing video vs audio.

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 2 17:30:08 CEST 2014

This is just out of curiosity really, not an mplayer bug.

I've just got a new GPU and there is am audio over HDMI bug (already
reported by xbmc users).

The thing is I can't reproduce it when playing video with s/w decode.

The bug is garbled sound - mplayer does produce with -

audio file
video file -vc null (but not -vo null)
video file uvd decode.

The outputs and alsa hw params look the same for working and not working
cases.

So, the question is what is the difference from mplayers point of view
when playing to alsa

mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.3 a wav file
mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.3 a video with -vc null

and

mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.3 a video

any thoughts, eg. does the timing come from somewhere else?

TIA