[MPlayer-users] vaapi support in mplayer.

Christian Dysthe cdysthe at gmail.com
Wed May 14 20:22:32 CEST 2014

On Wed, 2014-05-14 at 12:31 +0530, Anuj Mittal wrote:

> > > I tried libvdpau-va-gl, and for some reason it actually uses much
> > > higher gpu
> > > than the vaapi patch mplayer. I guess it is the overhead from
> > > rendering
> > > everything through opengl. When playing hi-res movies it kind of
> > > defeating the
> > > purpose to use va-gl since xv uses pretty much the same power. while
> > > mplayer-
> > > vaapi (or vdpau with a nvidia card) can really reduce the the power
> > > consumption by half or more.
> >
> > I tried mplayer-vaapi on my Ubuntu 14.04 i7/Intel 4000 graphics laptop,
> > but the playback was jerky across the board regardless of output and
> > video format. mplayer packaged for Ubuntu works great, so something is
> > wrong with the current mplayer-vaapi build for 14.04.
> >

> Can you paste here the mplayer-vaapi command line that you used? Do you
> have the libva intel driver installed?

This is getting a bit more complicated. I am using SMPlayer which feeds
this to mplayer:

/usr/bin/mplayer -noquiet -nofs -nomouseinput -sub-fuzziness 1 -identify
-slave -vo vaapi -ao pulse -nokeepaspect -nodr -nodouble -input
nodefault-bindings:conf=/dev/null -stop-xscreensaver -wid 73400361
-monitorpixelaspect 1 -ass -embeddedfonts -ass-line-spacing 0
-ass-font-scale 1 -noflip-hebrew
-ass-styles /home/christian/.config/smplayer/styles.ass
-subfont-autoscale 0 -subfont-osd-scale 20 -subfont-text-scale 20 -subcp
ISO-8859-1 -vid 0 -aid 0 -subpos 100 -volume 100 -cache 2048 -ss 351
-osdlevel 0 -vf-add screenshot -noslices -channels 2 -af
scaletempo,equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 -softvol -softvol-max
110 /path/to/movie.mkv

The playback is jerky with mplayer-vaapi in SMPlayer

Then I tried with the simple command: mplayer -vo
vaapi /path/to/movie.mkv running without SMPlayer and playback is
perfect. So SMPlayer does not work well with mplayer-vaapi on my system.
I guess I ned to ditch SMPlayer if I want to use mplayer-vaapi?