[MPlayer-users] I know what telecine and interlacing are, but ....

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Wed May 14 23:04:33 CEST 2014

On 5/14/14, James Board <jpboard2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm capturing video from the HDMI output of my DVR onto my Linux
> PC.  I play the video with mplayer from PC->TV by connecting the
> video card's HDMI output to the TV's HDMI input.  When I do that, I
> see combing effects on the TV from either interlacing or telecining.
>
> However, if I play the video straight from the DVR->TV, then there's no
> combing effects.  But for PC->TV, I see combing effects.  Why is this?
> If I'm capturing the video off of the DVR HDMI output, everything is
> digital,
> so when I play the captured video back to the TV from the PC, shouldn't it
> look exactly the same as if I play the video from the DVR->TV?
>
> The only answer I can think of is that maybe the TV de-interlaces, or
> inverse
> telecines the video when it is played from DVR->TV.  But it doesn't do so
> when
> played from PC->TV.  Is that possible?  Or am I misunderstanding some
> other thing?
>
> Anyway, is it possible to play the captured video  with mplayer from the
> PC-TV without any combing effects if I don't explicitly deinterlace or
> inverse telecine the captured video?

Lobs commented your question in #mplayer irc channel
<Lobs> he is asking why his captured video from his dtv box via hdmi
has interlace artifacts on his tv when playing to it via hdmi and
mplayer, yet when he plugs the dtv box into the same hdmi to his tv it
has no interlace artifacts,
<Lobs> the answer is his dtv box sets an interlaced video mode to the
tv via hdmi, where as his pc is doing a progressive mode.
<Lobs> he then asks if using mplayer to the tv with his pc can he play
without the interlace effects without deinterlaing etc, answer is yes,
but he would need to set the pc to use an interlaced mode to the tv,
which may make terminal text look REALLY bad.
<iive> I could post this replay in the maillist.
<iive> so he needs to set e.g. 1080i instead of 1080p
<iive> then the TV would deinterlace the video.
<iive> or deinterlace the video with -vf yadif
<Lobs> yes, that is correct,
<Lobs> but using an interlaced mode may make the desktop or anything
with fine horizontal lines flicker
<Lobs> (it all depends on how the tv deinterlaces or processes the
interlaced content)
<Lobs> also some graphics card drivers lack the interlaced modes,
<Lobs> (i have had issues in windows at least with that, trying to get
1080i for production video mixers via hdmi)

Best Regards
 iive