[MPlayer-users] HELP: My messages aren't being sent to this list

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat May 17 09:47:36 CEST 2014

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 07:05:41PM -0400, Andrew Haninger wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 8:58 AM, James Board <jpboard2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, some things must be wrong.  I'm not getting any messages
> > I send to this mailing list, or libav-users.  And I was automatically
> > unsubscribed a couple of weeks ago from the ffmpeg mailing list
> > because of 'too many bounced messages', and I can't seem to
> > resubscribe.  Another user also mentioned they weren't getting my
> > messages, but maybe they were also flagged as spam.
> >

> FWIW, I found this email in my Gmail spam as well, along with this message.
>
> *Be careful with this message.* Our systems couldn't verify that this
> message was really sent by yahoo.com. You might want to avoid clicking
> links or replying with personal information.  Learn
> more<http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1366858&ctx=mail&expand=2>

They can't verify who really sent the message for about 90% of all
emails (for example mine), and they don't show you any warning for those
either...
To add insult to injury, they _could_ have verified it just fine if they
actually wanted.
They'd just have to remove the unsubscribe footer and the extra
mailing list tag in the subject (which would somewhat weaken the
check but not all that much if done well).
Instead of this simple fix that would just work, they came up
with the braindead scheme here:
https://sites.google.com/site/oauthgoog/mlistsdkim
that requires every mailing list server to do validation
and signing of all emails, and then get itself registered
as trusted at _every single_ mail server in the world!
In addition, the scheme breaks the whole DKIM system since
now every server that ever hosted a mailing list is allowed
to send email on behalf of Yahoo and everyone else!
I don't know who came up with that idiocy, but it's hard to come
up with something more stupid.
You can either wait for Yahoo/Google etc. to fix this, put
mplayerhq.hu on a whitelist (assuming that exists) or look in your
spam folder, or read the list via e.g. gmane instead which
don't do such nonsense.