[MPlayer-users] I know what telecine and interlacing are, but ....

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 18 00:16:18 CEST 2014

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 08:06:27PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>> On 17.05.2014, at 14:31, Andy Furniss <adf.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Using GPU field rate deinterlace without framedrop I am way too slow,
>>> with it there is plenty of dropping leading to variable amounts of
>>> disruption depending (I speculate) on whether key frames are lost
>>
>> Decoding is not changed in any way with -framedrop, only -hardframedrop does that.
>
> And for H.264 it seems -hardframedrop isn't even available.
> Do you possibly have this issue only when deinterlacing is on?

Yes, but only the field rate ones, there are 3 to choose from and
deint=1 is framerate filtered bob and does not show the issue.

It does seem that the deint is the problem in the sense that I just
recoded my test stream to a 50fps mkv with yadif=1 and that plays OK.

A couple of things I notice - frame stepping through any field rate
deinterlacer with mplayer doesn't field step, though you do see one
refresh of the inbetween field, mpv field steps "properly".

My test streams show as 50fps by mplayer, though they won't actually
play fast if I do -nosound -vo null. ffmpeg sees them as 25fps.

> Then it might be due to the deinterlacer becoming confused from the
> frame drops, though a good one shouldn't have that issue...

Well compared to the number of drops I think I am getting it's not
totally trashed - very jerky with occasional disruption. The reason I
thought mplayer was causing this rather than deint was the noise I
mentioned eg.

mpn -speed 30/25 -lavdopts threads=8 -demuxer lavf -fs -vo
vdpau:colorspace=2:deint=3  -framedrop hd-samp2-cut1.ts
MPlayer SVN-r37203-4.7.3 (C) 2000-2014 MPlayer Team

Playing hd-samp2-cut1.ts.
libavformat version 55.38.100 (internal)
libavformat file format detected.
[mpegts @ 0x7fc288402c40]PES packet size mismatch
[mpegts @ 0x7fc288402c40]Could not find codec parameters for stream 4
(Unknown: none ([5][0][0][0] / 0x0005)): unknown codec
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize'
options
[mpegts @ 0x7fc288402c40]Could not find codec parameters for stream 5
(Unknown: none ([11][0][0][0] / 0x000B)): unknown codec
[mpegts @ 0x7fc288402c40]Could not find codec parameters for stream 6
[mpegts @ 0x7fc288402c40]Could not find codec parameters for stream 7
(Unknown: none ([11][0][0][0] / 0x000B)): unknown codec
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize'
options
[lavf] stream 0: video (h264), -vid 0
[lavf] stream 1: audio (aac_latm), -aid 0, -alang eng
[lavf] stream 2: audio (aac_latm), -aid 1, -alang eng
[lavf] stream 3: subtitle (dvbsub), -sid 0, -slang eng
LAVF: Program 17472
LAVF: Program 17540
LAVF: Program 17603
LAVF: Program 17664
LAVF: Program 19648
LAVF: Program 20288
VIDEO:  [H264]  1920x1080  0bpp  50.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
Load subtitles in ./
Could not find a UTF-8 locale,
character keys beyond Latin-1 will not be handled.
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
libavcodec version 55.62.100 (internal)
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, floatle, 0.0 kbit/0.00% (ratio: 0->384000)
Selected audio codec: [fflatm] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AAC in LATM)
[AO_ALSA] Format floatle is not supported by hardware, trying default.
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [vdpau] 1920x1080 => 1920x1080 Planar YV12  [fs]
A:76841.9 V:76842.6 A-V: -0.707 ct: -0.008   0/  0 ??% ??% ??,?% 4 0 1.20x
[h264 @ 0x7fc288413060]Found reference and non-reference fields in the
same frame, which is not implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to the
newest one from Git. If the problem still occurs, it means that your
file has a feature which has not been implemented.
[h264 @ 0x7fc288413060]If you want to help, upload a sample of this file
to ftp://upload.ffmpeg.org/MPlayer/incoming/ and contact the
ffmpeg-devel mailing list.
[h264 @ 0x7fc288413060]decode_slice_header error
[...]
A:76842.0 V:76842.6 A-V: -0.648 ct: -0.014   0/  0 ??% ??% ??,?% 7 0 1.20x
[h264 @ 0x7fc288413060]reference picture missing during reorder
[h264 @ 0x7fc288413060]reference picture missing during reorder
[h264 @ 0x7fc288413060]Missing reference picture, default is 65545
[...]
A:76842.0 V:76842.6 A-V: -0.619 ct: -0.018   0/  0 ??% ??% ??,?% 8 0 1.20x
[h264 @ 0x7fc288413060]mmco: unref short failure
[h264 @ 0x7fc288413060]mmco: unref short failure
[h264 @ 0x7fc288413060]number of reference frames (0+5) exceeds max (4;
probably corrupt input), discarding one
A:76861.4 V:76860.8 A-V:  0.562 ct: -0.338   0/  0 18% 42%  1.1% 50 0 1.20x

            **** Your system is too SLOW to play this!  ****

Possible reasons, problems, workarounds:
- Most common: broken/buggy _audio_ driver
   - Try -ao sdl or use the OSS emulation of ALSA.
   - Experiment with different values for -autosync, 30 is a good start.
- Slow video output
   - Try a different -vo driver (-vo help for a list) or try -framedrop!
- Slow CPU
   - Don't try to play a big DVD/DivX on a slow CPU! Try some of the
lavdopts,
     e.g. -vfm ffmpeg -lavdopts lowres=1:fast:skiploopfilter=all.
- Broken file
   - Try various combinations of -nobps -ni -forceidx -mc 0.
- Slow media (NFS/SMB mounts, DVD, VCD etc)
   - Try -cache 8192.
- Are you using -cache to play a non-interleaved AVI file?
   - Try -nocache.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/video.html for tuning/speedup tips.
If none of this helps you, read DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html.

A:76869.6 V:76868.4 A-V:  1.266 ct:  0.114   0/  0 23% 47%  1.0% 109 0
1.20x
[...]
A:76874.9 V:76873.5 A-V:  1.409 ct:  0.392   0/  0 22% 51%  1.0% 129 0
1.20x
[...]
[...]
[...]