[MPlayer-users] Cannot get subtitle fonts to display (but OSD font works) with mplayer2

Marc MERLIN marc_mplayer at merlins.org
Sat May 31 08:29:50 CEST 2014

Since I upgraded to mplayer2, subtitle fonts don't get displayed.

strace -e trace=file mplayer -v -v shows:

STREAM: [file] ./video - divx3.srt
SUB: Detected subtitle file format: subviewer
SUB: Read 432 subtitles, 0 bad line(s).
SUB: Adjusted 2 subtitle(s).
SUB: Added subtitle file (1): ./video - divx3.srt
get_path('subfont.ttf') -> '/home/mythtv/.mplayer/subfont.ttf'
get_path('subfont.ttf') -> '/home/mythtv/.mplayer/subfont.ttf'
(...)
open("/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf", O_RDONLY) = 8
Unicode font: 5179 glyphs.
open("/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf", O_RDONLY) = 8
Unicode font: 5179 glyphs.

j toggles between subs disabled and the name of my sub file but no subs
actually get played.
If I play on my laptop with mplayer1, the subs get shown ok.

I've tried both with
fontconfig = yes
font = "Sans"
subfont-text-scale = 3

and without.

Since my OSD font works well, any idea what else could be wrong?

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901