[MPlayer-users] Issues with -vc ff*vdpau and -vc ff*vdpauold

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Nov 1 13:50:12 CET 2014

On 31.10.2014, at 23:07, Ilja Sekler <ilja_sekler_ at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> there were some VDPAU related changes in FFmpeg last month, since then I
> get the warning from
>
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commitdiff;h=ec6a855b3a6b87f3415cc4ecfc685bd2eefc6a80
>
> every time I play a video in MPlayer using -vc ff*vdpau. This might be a
> purely cosmetical issue, but who knows...

Fixed, though it too is an FFmpeg API change that was not announced.

> Worse things happen with ffodivxvdpau as some of my DX50 encoded files
> aren't playable when using this decoder anymore. The video window is
> black and "Unexpected decoder output format Planar YV12" is printed for
> each frame. "hedgehog_in_the_fog.avi" (the first 5 MiB of the video) and
> "hedgehog_in_the_fog.txt" are uploaded to incoming, the related
> gzip-compressed shortened verbose console output is attached.

This is an undocumented and completely unnecessary API change, patch sent to FFmpeg.
The ffodivxvdpauold crash is due to a clear bug in FFmpeg, patch also sent.
Yes, the FFmpeg VDPAU code is a bugfest that has new errors every time someone touches it since it has 0 test coverage.