[MPlayer-users] Issues with -vc ff*vdpau and -vc ff*vdpauold

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Nov 1 15:18:26 CET 2014

On Sat, Nov 01, 2014 at 01:54:42PM +0100, wm4 wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 13:50:12 +0100
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> > This is an undocumented and completely unnecessary API change, patch sent to FFmpeg.
> > The ffodivxvdpauold crash is due to a clear bug in FFmpeg, patch also sent.
> > Yes, the FFmpeg VDPAU code is a bugfest that has new errors every time someone touches it since it has 0 test coverage.
>
> I see two problems here:
> 1. MPlayer insisting on using the old API (but only sometimes?)

You mean the codec-based one? That is a explicitly user-selectable
option.
The reason it exists is exactly the instability. It seems that Carl
unfortunately had a point that this old method seems to be the most
reliable still.

> 2. VLC developer doing whatever he pleases on the Libav side

Kind of, but I can't blame them for not testing things that are
not easily testable.
I could blame people for not writing tests, but on the other
hand I never finished my attempts either.
So I'll only blame people for not actually showing interest in
proper testing, but that seems to be standard operating mode
for both MPlayer and VLC, unfortunately.