[MPlayer-users] Clipping with volnorm

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Nov 21 08:52:06 CET 2014

On 20.11.2014, at 18:11, William Brana <wbrana at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to maximize volume without clipping, but there is a lot of
> clipping with volnorm.
> I checked file af_volnorm.c, but it seems to compute gain from average
> value of sample instead of maximum. Isn't it broken?

No, the intent is to have a consistent, good to hear volume.
If you go with the maximum a single high sample in an otherwise low-volume section will mean you can't hear a thing, which is the opposite of the purpose of the filter.
The volume filter (I think) can print the maximum value at the end of playback, which you can use for a two-pass solution if the same volume adjustment for the whole file is good enough.