[MPlayer-users] Cache empty, consider increasing -cache and/or -cache-min. [performance issue]

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Oct 24 20:56:28 CEST 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 09:58:24AM +0200, Erik Auerswald wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 11:22:42PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> > > That seems suspicious. I think this might be due to us using different
> > > default demuxers for Ogg, since the FFmpeg one (used to/does?) work
> > > rather badly for streaming.
> > > An explicit -demuxer lavf works.
> > > Assuming your FFmpeg version that MPlayer uses is new enough.
> >
> > Starting with r37304 it should work (mostly?) without -demuxer lavf.
>
> Yes, this works for the audio stream, but it does not open the video
> stream. With -demuxer lavf, both streams work.

I don't think there is a video stream, it is just a metadata image.
The native demuxer does not handle image metadata.

> Perhaps the ogg support of -demuxer lavf has improved enough to be used as
> default for ogg?

It is used by default, just not for streaming.
And the reasons why lavf is problematic for streams are kind of by
design (it wants and assumes to know all the exact stream properties upfront).
It can probably be worked around, but I so far don't really believe it's
the better option.