[MPlayer-users] [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Mon Oct 27 14:31:13 CET 2014

Hi Jim,

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 01:13:10PM +0000, Jim Cross wrote:
> [...]
> Although I don't appear to have a problem playing audio streams, I noticed
> the following:
>
> Start MPlayer with:
> mplayer -slave -novideo -cache 320 -cache-min 0 -quiet -volume 60
> -key-fifo-size 2 -input file=/run/shm/mpcontrol -idle
>
> When playing streams such as:
> echo 'loadlist http://dir.xiph.org/listen/1582676/listen.m3u' >>
> /run/shm/mpcontrol
>
> Get MPlayer message - stream does play OK:
> [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or
> directory
> AO: [alsa] 44100Hz 2ch floatle (4 bytes per sample)
> Video: no video
> Starting playback...
>
> I think my question is: To clear up the "[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open
> audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory" message, would (or
> should) the following work...?:

You should specify to use ALSA by either giving the -ao alsa option or by
setting ao=alsa in the configuration file.

> $ sudo apt-get install alsa-oss
> $ ./configure
> $ make
> $ sudo make install

That would probably work as well, but then MPlayer would by default use the
OSS emulation of ALSA instead of direclty using ALSA.

HTH,
Erik
--
[M]ost parts of this industry just work by chance.
                        -- Thomas Gleixner