[MPlayer-users] h264 video is grey, corrupted, after upgrade to 1.1.1

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Sep 23 09:45:49 CEST 2014

Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger <at> gmx.de> writes:

> > gcc 4.2 produces a broken h264 decoder since 4d70023a
> > (December 2011), other issues also exist with current
> > FFmpeg.
>
> What was said was "newer compiler version with precision
> math libraries, but didn't warn or check for them."
> Which doesn't sound like anything in any way related to
> a compiler bug.

Stewart had reported here and on ffmpeg-user that some
decoders of current FFmpeg do not work for him, from
the console output, we knew he compiled with 4.2. He
then tested with a newer compiler and since this fixed
his issues, I tried to reproduce with vanilla gcc to
rule out a distribution compiler bug and I can
reproduce issues in different decoders (including
H.264) for gcc 4.2 but neither 4.1 nor 4.3.

I also bisected FFmpeg to find the commit introducing
one (!) of the problems to rule out a recent issue,
since the regression exists since 2011 I don't think a
work-around makes sense.

And to the best of my knowledge this is not related to
precision math libraries.

Carl Eugen