[MPlayer-users] -noconsolecontrols ignored in slave mode

luc.linux at mailoo.org luc.linux at mailoo.org
Thu Jan 1 12:27:22 CET 2015

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 07:12:56PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hm, I am not sure this has been thought through properly.
> Can anyone think of a case where the current behaviour would be desirable?
When reading the documentation [1], it appears that the slave mode was
more thought as a way to control mplayer from another program. So using
stdin by default makes sense in that case.

> Otherwise I think I'd favour changing the behaviour to give -noconsolecontrols priority.
> On e.g. Linux you can also get the old behaviour back via -input file=/dev/stdin I think
I think keeping the actual default behaviour should be fine, but I can't
think of a use case when one would use -noconsolecontrols and still want
-slave to read from stdin.

> (haven't tested, us trying to open read+write might cause issues).
On my system (up to date ArchLinux), /dev/stdin appears to be a link to
a read-write file /dev/pts/1, but this file is also stdout, so I guess
opening it read-write should work. But I am not sure this is the best
way to do it.

[1] http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/slave.txt