[MPlayer-users] Help with configure error

Erik Steffl erik at zasran.com
Mon Jan 5 04:24:42 CET 2015

On 01/04/2015 07:05 PM, Chris wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-01-04 at 20:59 -0600, Chris wrote:
>> I'm attempting to compile mplayer withe gui from source due to the fact
>> that the version installed from Ubuntu sources crashes before it even
>> starts. At the end of the configure run I get:
>>
>> Error: The GUI requires X11.
>>
>> I've installed the libx11-dev files and from what I see in the
>> config.log they are seen. I've put the complete log on pastebin here:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/gsR7TbpS
>>
>> I'd appreciate if anyone could give me some advice even if it's a knock
>> on the head.
>>
>> System is Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS Gnome 3.12.2 I'd be happy to supply any
>> more info. Here is the package I'm trying to install from and the
>> command line I used to install is ./configure --enable-gui --enable-jpeg
>> --enable-png
>
> I neglected to paste in the package - mplayer-export-snapshot.tar.bz2
> which I downloaded this afternoon from the Mplayer website.

the crucial error in the log:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext

which means that you need libXext,

on debian based distros you can run: apt-file search libXext (might need
to first run: sudo apt-file update),

you need libxext6 and likely libxext6-dev packages (might be different
names/versions on different distros).

	erik