[MPlayer-users] To whom it may concern

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Jan 18 23:45:31 CET 2015

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 02:51:07PM -0500, Julius Friedman wrote:
> It appears that some code in MPlayers RTSP Layer is not configured
> correctly.
>
> The code I am using is svn r37343.
>
> VLC Handles this better as can be seen here but uses a more complicated
> mechanism  (Which also seems to check for polling on reading but not
> writing but is besides the point)
>
> The code in VLC can be found here for reference:
>
> http://ffmpeg.org/doxygen/trunk/rtsp_8c_source.html
>
> -----------------
>
> MPlayer's code (which I assume to be similar to as follows as of the
> current release)
>
> https://github.com/pigoz/mplayer-svn/blob/master/stream/librtsp/rtsp.c
>
> Line 109 sets timeout.tv_sec = 30;
>
> This may be longer than required as between two requests which occur which
> may subsequently cause a server to disconnect a client if it does not
> monitor liveliness of the session via the transport profile (rtp or rtcp
> etc)

Could you describe the actual _problem_ you are seeing?
"may be longer than required" to me sounds like a good thing, but
you obviously think it is wrong/bad.
Anyway that code is really old and you should try ffmpeg://rtsp://
instead (and we probably should make that the default at some point,
even though it has other problems).