[MPlayer-users] Can mplayer plays Disney dvds?

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Thu Mar 5 16:13:01 CET 2015

Am 26.02.2015 um 16:47 schrieb Erik Auerswald:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 08:06:01AM -0600, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 4:16 AM, Tuan Nguyen <tuan2103 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> it seems that mplayer has problems with
>>> playing Disney dvds with 99 titles.
>>> [...]
>>
>> When encountering misbehaving Disney DVDs, this is the process I use:
>> [...]
>> mplayer -dvd-device disney_backup dvd://78
>>
>> Where 78 is the title that is sniffed from my standalone DVD player.
>
> I assume you use the title number displayed by the DVD player. Does
> anybody know if we can get this information from MPlayer while using
> dvdnav://? Or another good idea to identify the title track?

I use mplayer dvdnav:// -v
after I hit "play main feature" in the DVD menu, mplayer outputs the
"switching to title 'x'" on the console. That is then the correct title.

Don’t know how that could be obtained programmatically, though, it
probably requries running the DVD-VM.

> I am using the simple heuristic to look for the longest title on a DVD.
> This often works, but not for my problematic Disney DVD. It does not
> work for some other DVDs either, but with a sensible amount of possible
> titles (that are in the ballpark of the movie length) this can be found
> out manually.

This probably also doesn’t work on Disney DVDs, as many titles are
simply the chapters of the main feature but juggled around, and some
titles are even longer, when a longer chapter is played twice instead of
another chapter etc.

--
cheers,
Alex