[MPlayer-users] Objectionable yadif haloing with certain top crop parameters

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 8 14:31:48 CEST 2015

Andy Furniss wrote:

> As you are capping NTSC I guess it would be possible to tell
> card/v4l to cap as 422 and then crop - still 4 but I expect 2 off
> bottom and top would then be possible.

Of course if you are wanting to do existing recordings and you confirm
they are 420 already then you would need to convert in an interlace
aware way to 422 before cropping then convert back.

If you are planning on getting this to work on a CRT it will be tricky
with a PC and I would consider making into interlaced ntsc dvds and
using a player! This wouldn't work so well with the cropping as you need
480 height - though I don't know what height you are starting and ending
with? Maybe you could crop to remove junk then pad out again to 480
(though a dvd player + CRT TV would likely overscan off the junk anyway).

You need to be careful with encoding/manipulating interlaced - and I
don't know what handbrake does.

Errors may not be instantly noticeable = always keep your masters if
possible.