[MPlayer-users] Problem forcing mplayer to use "pulse"

David Shochat david.shochat at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 01:59:08 CEST 2016

This sounds like a problem I have had repeatedly, trying to build mplayer
in such a way as to include support for Pulse Audio. In my case, until I
figure it out each time, I get no audio at all. I suggest that you bring up
your config.log in a text editor and search for "pulse". You should see a
section beginning with:
============ Checking for pulse ============
At the end of that section you should see:
Result is: yes
But I suspect you will see a "no" here. In my case, the problem was solved
by installing a pulse audio-related development package. For most distros,
you must use a package with "-dev" or "-devel" in its name, since you will
need to compile and link against the library in question. On my Ubuntu
system, I think the missing package was libpulse-dev:amd64. I'm sorry I
didn't write down the one that actually got me past the error the last time
it occurred. Notice that the test code the configure script uses to check
for pulse audio support starts out with:
#include <pulse/pulseaudio.h>
On my system, that include file is provided by the package named above.
-- David