[MPlayer-users] Problem forcing mplayer to use "pulse"

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Apr 8 19:16:15 CEST 2016

On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 08:50:34PM +0000, George R Goffe wrote:
> Reimar
>

> Thanks for your response.
>
> "doesn't seem to work" means, in this case, produces NO change in behavior. Mplayer STILL routes it's audio to the laptop speakers. YouTube and other sites accessed via Firefox route the output to my head phones. Mplayer used to do this too but on an older Linux platform (systems are consistently Fedora) currently Fedora 23 x86_64.
>

> The head phones are accessed via USB hardware, their manufacturer is Logitech.
>
> Do you need any other information?

MPlayer's output with -v would be a good idea.
If you used "-ao pulse" and you still get sound from the speakers
(as opposed to no sound at all) that SHOULD mean that MPlayer
is using PulseAudio just fine, but it for some reason decides
to send the audio to the speaker.
In that case I'd preliminarily declare this a configuration problem with
PulseAudio, and not a MPlayer issue...