[MPlayer-users] Some DVDs have no video with cache enabled

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Feb 10 22:26:46 CET 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 09:24:59PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 01:26:55AM -0500, Josh wrote:
> > This is a really old bug (there are a lot of recent commits so to clarify
> > they weren't the problem). Some DVDs (usually ripped) don't display video
> > when caching. I usually stream them over the network which is really slow
> > (with my particular internet service there is no choice but to use their
> > router which is only capable of 130Mbps wirelessly) so it is necessary to
> > use the cache. It can't be the ripping software because doesn't happen to
> > all of them (the vast majority work fine with caching but often one won't
> > work when using cache). There are no problems playing the VOB files directly
> > as files with caching.
>
> Things tend to break when the DVD layer has to go through the cache as
> some information gets lost (e.g. you can't ask the DVD for the position,
> because that's the position that is being cached, not the one played).
> I haven't tracked down the exact cause, but in case you haven't noticed
> -demuxer lavf plays it.

I have not found out why the cache breaks things exactly
(though I have an idea) but r37657 happens to avoid the issue.
The problem is basically that the video stream starts
late in the file and thus was not detected initially.
MPlayer will now just start playing video streams as
soon as they appear.
This will probably avoid issues in a few other cases as well.