[MPlayer-users] Linux clock loses time when DVD is playing

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Jul 5 19:58:21 CEST 2016

Is there a known bug, misconfiguration problem or hardware conflict
that causes the Linux system clock to lose time while MPlayer is
playing a DVD?

Playing a DVD, my clock loses 6 to 8 seconds per minute of elapsed
time while the video is playing.  This effect stops when the video is
paused and when it has ended and mplayer has exited.

I've verified this with a script that polls the clock at 1
min. intervals while a DVD is playing and compares the result to the
time on a LAN-connected laptop.

The clock is otherwise stable with no significant drift, whether up or
shut/powered down.  There is no problem with the video, audio or
subtitles.

Some system info below.

Any info about eliminating this behavior and/or its cause welcome.

Tnx,
- Mike