[MPlayer-users] Re: Linux clock loses time when DVD is playing

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Jul 6 08:35:27 CEST 2016

Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> L'octidi 18 messidor, an CCXXIV, Mike Spencer a écrit :
>
>> Is there a known bug, misconfiguration problem or hardware conflict
>> that causes the Linux system clock to lose time while MPlayer is
>> playing a DVD?

> I had this problem 15 years ago with an IDE DVD drive that did not
> support DMA.

Hmmm.  Mine's an IDE drive. lshw says (in part, more details below):

   *-cdrom:0
       product: PHILIPS SPD2413P
       capabilities: packet atapi cdrom removable nonmagnetic dma lba iordy

So DMA should be supported. (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y is in
[kernel-src]/.config, too.)

> Did you check it was specific to MPlayer? For example by copying a
> big file from a DVD without playing it.

Not until you suggested it. :-) I had only noticed it when using mplayer.

    + Copy of a ca. 1G file from DVD to HD *does* cause the clock to
      lag.

    + Similar copy from USB stick to HD does *not* cause the clock to
      lag.

    + Playing video from HD  does *not* cause the clock to
      lag.

So apparently not caused by MPlayer directly.  That makes it off-topic
here.  Nevertheless, I'd be grateful any suggestions for a fix or
workaround (Dredged up from 15 year old memory?  Deduced from info
below? ) here or in private email.

Thanks for the suggestion,
- Mike