[MPlayer-users] read answer from slave

Peter White peter.white at posteo.net
Fri Jun 3 00:24:56 CEST 2016

Am 02.06.2016 um 20:00 schrieb Peter Irbizon:
> Hello, one more question. I am using command
> echo "pausing_keep_force get_property pause" > /home/user/mplayer-control
> and it outputs ANS_pause in terminal window, where mplayer was launched.
>
> But how could I get it into my second terminal, when I initiated echo
> "pausing_keep_force get_property pause" > /home/user/mplayer-control
> command?

I don't think it is supposed to work that way. Maybe a second FIFO can
do the trick, like:
$ mkfifo input.pipe output.pipe
$ mplayer -slave -input file=input.pipe video.mkv >output.pipe

Then in the second terminal:
$ cat output.pipe &
$ echo "pausing_keep_force get_property pause" > input.pipe
ANS_pause=yes

You might want to consider running mplayer with the -quiet option.