[MPlayer-users] Restarting mplayer after Network Trouble

Rasz citizenr at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 04:22:25 CET 2016

On 3/11/16, Martin McCormick <martin.m at suddenlink.net> wrote:
> 	Is there a way to get mplayer to keep re-trying a session
> that chokes up due to network trouble?

I have similar problem with video played from the network. My use case
is streaming Youtube. I am using this browser plugin:
https://github.com/gantt/downloadyoutube
it generates direct https:/....mp4 links. Browser launches mplayer
with help of a custom handler (like you would for example launch
torrent client on magnet links). Result is instant mplayer playback of
YT videos, no downloading involved.

 Problems start when trying to pause video. mplayer has no mechanism
for that and will simply reply with [TCP ZeroWindow] signalling full
buffer. Google web server will probe client(mplayer) with keep-alive
packets for 300 seconds, after which it aborts concluding host
crash/problems. Any attempts to continue playing after 300 seconds
result in RST packet from google file server. Receiving RST makes
mplayer choke for a second and close with no attempt at restarting.

Seeking in the video abandons current connection abruptly _without
properly closing it_ and just starts another one. Quitting mplayer
sends proper RST closing connection. Mplayer also doesnt cope well
with packet loss and again chokes and quits.

At the very least there should be a way of making mplayer restart
failed connection couple of times.
Pausing should result in properly closed connection (maybe after a
decent timeout), unpause should start new one.

--
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.