[MPlayer-users] Restarting mplayer after Network Trouble

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Mar 22 20:24:18 CET 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 03:32:06PM +0100, Rasz wrote:
> On 3/21/16, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Are you really using a current version?
> > That is exactly what the MAX_RECONNECT_RETRIES thing was
> > introduced for in 2012.
>
> tried those:
> MPlayer Redxii-SVN-r37448-4.9.3 (x86_64) (C) 2000-2015 MPlayer Team
> MPlayer sherpya-r37802+g666e2ed-5.3.1 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team
>

> >> Seeking in the video abandons current connection abruptly _without
> >> properly closing it_ and just starts another one.
> >
> > Huh? What made you conclude that? MPlayer calls closesocket on the
> > old connection before opening the new one.
>
> packet captures (tshark)
>
> to reproduce get http://youtube-dl.org/
> this gives you direct YT mp4 link: youtube-dl.exe -g
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7srmGug-a44 -f 22

I missed that you said https.
https is implemented via FFmpeg.
What I said only applies to our own implementations
(http, ftp etc.).
It might be caused by bug in how we use it, but at least
the missing close I would expect to be reproducible
with ffplay and thus not MPlayer's fault.
Even the failure to re-open might come from FFmpeg
if it fails to report the closed connection as an
error (as opposed to end-of-file), but I have not
checked.