[MPlayer-users] AC3 and different sampling rate

alex at roalter.it alex at roalter.it
Thu Jan 19 23:55:08 EET 2017

A somewhat odd request.

I’m currently playing some TV shows from UK DVDs, and the PAL speedup is
both noticeable and annoying.

In the olden days I used to simply play them back at 0.96 speed which
would lead to 24fps with a sampling rate of 46080 Hz.

Now I have hooked up a fully-fledged AV receiver, when I change the
playback rate, the audio mutes (mplayer prints:
[format] Sample format big-endian AC3 not yet supported)
and that’s it.

Is there a way to playback AC3 and have it resample on-the-fly back to
48kHz, so that mplayer will accept it and keep sending it to the
receiver? If I use the non-hardware-passthrough, I get the lower audio,
but nothing more than stereo.

That resample-on-the-fly would then need to be a filter that always
ensures audio is resampled to 48kHz AC3 whatever the input sample rate
is (or maybe the nearest of the allowed 32kHz, 44.1kHZ or 48kHz).

The cherry on top would be the same for the dts format, but much less
needed.

--
Cheers,
Alex