[MPlayer-users] mplayer will not play iso files

James Blanford jhblanford at gmail.com
Tue May 30 18:07:07 EEST 2017

I recently upgraded from jessie to stretch. After reinstalling two
obsolete libraries, I found my old r37905 still worked fine, but
wouldn't compile (mp_auto_pull). So I downloaded the latest svn version
and found it compiled and ran fine, except it wouldn't play isos. It
would show the first frame and a fragment of audio and subsequent
frames would be discarded with the message "Got unexpected packet size
after a partial decode." Seeking would give me a new frame and rarely
it would "catch" and play a few seconds. The message comes from
ffmpeg's decode.c.

Going to a virtual machine that was still running jessie, I found the
same issue. MPlayer-1.3.0, however, compiles and plays all the iso files
the svn wouldn't - physical disks, iso backups made by backlite
(k9copy) and VIDEO_TS directories from mounted isos.

Curiously, ffplay compiled from the same sources used to compile the
the latest svn mplayer _does_ play isos. I'm bewildered. Any thoughts?

JBo, the widely declaimed writer from the hinterlands of New Mexico.