[MPlayer-users] Encoding with libx264

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Sun Oct 22 13:32:06 EEST 2017

Hi Christian,

On 2017-10-18 19:01 +0200, bugzzzz wrote:
> Thank you Mike
>
> I've been using mencoder for many years with mpeg4 codec without problem and wanted to upgrade myself with better codecs.
> So I understand  I have taken 10 years more !!
> That's life.
> And what is the future of mplayer/mencoder and what is its position beside ffmpeg ?

not much work has been done to maintain and improve mencoder in the
last 10 years. But it is working quite stable for some particular
use cases for even more than 10 years now.

Should there be specific problems, reporting them on our bug tracker
might be a good way to get them fixed eventually.

Using ffmpeg instead of mencoder can be a good and fun idea, depending
on how well ffmpeg supports your use case at hand. Using both to solve
a particular task is fine as well. Also tools like ffprobe from FFmpeg
might come in handy to expect the intermediate and end results.

Now to the bad news for today :(

Build for mplayer and mencoder is currently broken and I am busy fixing
that.

Building MPlayer with internal FFmpeg only works up to FFmpeg commit 4c0a8ff061

After that is out of the way, I am happy to look at your original
problem. From the first reading of your initial mail it's likely a
usage and/or documentation problem.

  Alexander