[MPlayer-users] Can I get a few tips on DVD ripping?

Rui Correia rdscorreia74 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 20:21:07 EEST 2017

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Miriam English <mim at miriam-english.org>
wrote:

> Hi Rui,
>
> I always rip my DVDs to my computer as soon as I buy them. The plastic
> they make DVDs out of is so easily scratched I like to play them just the
> one time, in ripping them to the computer. Then I put them away in my DVD
> case to be taken out again only if the hard drive gets damaged and my
> ripped video corrupted.
>
> Hi Miriam,
I've been failing to do that, hence why I already have a couple of "broken"
DVD's. They still play but they have a lot of skipping. They skip 3 or 4
minutes of playtime due to scratches.
Not a big drama, they were cheap but it's kinda dumb to allow that to
happen and then having to buy a new DVD from the bestbuy. I teach my
daughter to take care of her stuff, and I know she's careful but once in a
while "accidents" happen and a DVD ends up on the floor under people's
shoes...

You don't need dvdnav:// as that's used for showing the DVD menus. Simply
> dvd:// is sufficient. Also the video will rip as a vob file, not as an iso
> file.
>
> I was trying to find out the right Title with the Main Movie hence why I
was using dvdnav. On the remaining ripping commands I forgot to move to dvd
instead.

If the track I want is track 2 then I use:
> mplayer dvd://2 -dumpstream -dumpfile videoname.vob
>
> And by track I would assume it is the same as Title?
Interesting. The result is a VOB, not an M2V? Wow.