[MPlayer-users] What output driver for USB DAC?

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Sun Feb 4 14:31:38 EET 2018

Hi John,

On 02/04/2018 01:21 PM, John Long wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-02-04 at 12:56 +0100, Erik Auerswald wrote:

>>> Thank you for the suggestions! I feel I am on the right track.
>>>
>> [...]
>> Please note that you may have PulseAudio interfering by hijacking
>> calls
>> to ALSA. I used to use the Hi-Fi DAC via ALSA back before PulseAudio
>> was
>> a thing...
>
> Pulse audio is definitely running. I don't know how to send anything to
> it from mplayer (seems to be using alsa) or how it interacts with
> anything else. I am pretty lost...

I never looked into this, but using PulseAudio directly from MPlayer
(-ao pulse instead of -ao alsa) seems to work better than outputting to
ALSA since PulseAudio crept onto my system in 2012. Before, -ao alsa was
the way to go for me. AFAIK PulseAudio "emulates" ALSA (partly and not
very well) to automatically add PulseAudio greatness to every ALSA using
application. Of course this does not include all unusual use cases.

Thanks,
Erik