[MPlayer-users] Dump raw compressed video -dumpvideo

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 16:48:29 EET 2018

> mplayer -dumpvideo some_video.mpg
>
> Dump raw compressed video stream to stream.dump

> To see these raw videos, I would use something like this:
>
> mplayer -demuxer rawvideo -rawvideo fps=23.976:w=1280:h=720 stream.dump
>
> mplayer -demuxer rawvideo -rawvideo
> fps=23.976:w=1280:h=720:format=i420:size=1382400 stream.dump

These command lines are not supposed to support "raw compressed
video" (but only raw uncompressed video), they should work with:
$ mplayer stream.dump

> This seems to work with mpeg videos and 1 or 2 other formats, but is not
> working with an mp4 video with the x264 codec.

The needed extradata is missing when dumping the video stream from mp4
with -dumpvideo. You cannot easily fix this.
One alternative is to use ffmpeg for this use-case:
$ ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vcodec copy dump.h264

Carl Eugen