[MPlayer-users] mplayer doesn't update the size of a growing file

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Thu Sep 13 13:01:34 EEST 2018

Nobody else has answered this so I'll take a stab at it.
Have you tried playing direct from mplayer instead of via streamripper?
I haven't tried this, but mplayer can play from an rtsp streaming input.

For example:
mplayer rtsp://server.example.com/streamName

There are some rtsp-related options in the manual too, so if you have
difficulties it might pay to try some of them.

Hope this helps,

     - Miriam

arthurpeabody wrote:
> When I listen to a stream I capture it with streamripper and listen to the captured file with mplayer.  mplayer never updates the size of the file.  When I change the position, if it's past the size of the file when I started mplayer, mplayer quits.  This isn't a terrible problem, I just have to restart, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to.  less has a -f switch that causes it to refresh the size of the target file continuously.

What is the most important thing in the world you could be working on right now, and if you are not working on that, why aren't you?
  -- Aaron Swartz (internet genius, philanthropist)